Monday, December 10, 2012

Introduction


This blog was started as an assignment for my Library 260-10 course.  

Please view in this order:
Introduction
Schedule of Programs
Yearly Outline
Storytime Examples
Building Blocks 
Newsletter Archives
Tween Book talks Archive
Budget
Summary 
Resources

      This plan for this website is modeled after an image I have in my head of what it would be like to have a community library on my tribe’s reservation.  Currently we only have a school library that serves our preschool through 5th grade students on the reservation.  My dream would be for us to have a new school site built with a library that serves both the school and the community.  The school library would be its own entity, and have its own separate but connected space.  
      There would be a reference library for research.  This could include, historical documents, out of print books, Bureau of Indian Affairs documents, and news articles, campaign documentation, etc.  Tribal members and possibly other tribes and outside researchers would have access to the materials.  The tribe could have a small lending library, some study space (homework help and tutoring could be added), computer access, copy and printer access.  There would also be a children's area to host events and reinforce the importance of reading to our young tribal members.
      Storytimes for lapsit and toddler would coordinate with the school, so that students could participate.  Family storytimes would be in evenings so the entire community could participate.  
      The library would be able to coordinate with other entities on the reservation such as the Cultural Department, the Chammakilawish School, the Recreation Center, and the Youth Department to facilitate programming and share resources.
       In this blog I have given a month to month schedule and have outlined a year of themes, along with programming I would facilitate for these themes.  I have given schedule details and examples of storytimes for various groups.  I have provided details on the extra programming I would offer to reinforce the need for literacy and parental involvement in education.  I have developed a Summer Reading program, partnerships with other entities within the community.  
I have discussed the budget to the best of my ability, and hope this serves as a guide for library programming in the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment